The White House last week prevented the State Department from issuing its own statement marking International Holocaust Remembrance Day that included the mention of Jewish victims specifically, Politico reported Thursday.
The White House’s statement on the day sparked criticism for not mentioning Jewish victims. The White House stood by its statement.
Three people familiar with the process told Politico that the State Dept., as it has in past years, drafted a statement commemorating Holocaust victims.
A White House official said that there was no ill intent, and that the White House didn’t see the State’s draft until issuing its own statement, and told the department not to release its version because it was by then after 7 p.m.
“It is with a heavy heart and somber mind that we remember and honor the victims, survivors, heroes of the Holocaust. It is impossible to fully fathom the depravity and horror inflicted on innocent people by Nazi terror,” Trump said in a statement.
“In the name of the perished, I pledge to do everything in my power throughout my Presidency, and my life, to ensure that the forces of evil never again defeat the powers of good. Together, we will make love and tolerance prevalent throughout the world.”
White House spokeswoman Hope Hicks told CNN the statement was meant to be “inclusive” since “priests, gypsies, people with mental or physical disabilities, communists” and many other groups were killed in the Holocaust.
What do you want to bet that Steve Bannon is behind this?