The alt-right “news” site Breitbart.com is furious that Donald Trump has reneged on his promise to “lock up” Hillary Clinton.
Breitbart News, was formerly run by Steve Bannon, Trump’s chief strategist, and headlined the lead story on its home page “BROKEN PROMISE.”
breitbart dot com right now pic.twitter.com/ZnKOLLncDh
— Colin Campbell (@colincampbell) November 22, 2016
Rudy Giuliani has also backtracked on his desire to have Hillary Clinton behind bars.
Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, a Trump ally under consideration for a Cabinet position, was among the contingent of supporters who had said Clinton belonged in jail. But on Tuesday he backed off after Conway’s statement.
“Look, there’s a tradition in American politics that after you win an election, you sort of put things behind you,” he told reporters inside Trump Tower. “And if that’s the decision he reached, that’s perfectly consistent with sort of a historical pattern of things come up, you say a lot of things, even some bad things might happen, and then you can sort of put it behind you in order to unite the nation.”
Either way, Giuliani continued, he would support Trump’s “tough choice.” “You could go either way. If he made the choice to unite the nation, I think, all those people who didn’t vote against him, maybe, could take another look at him,” he said.
It’s unclear what Breitbart chair Steve Bannon thinks of all this from his new seat as Trump’s chief strategist. He previously spoke admiringly of Trump as a “master of the head fake” and said Trump had harnessed the public’s “huge amount of anger” against Clinton.